vendredi 27 mars 2009

Food and Sleep

Night is now coming. My negotiator and me are resting in front of our guest's house. Girls bring candles.

Soon, It's time for food. A large plate is brougth: rice and meat sauce. It smells local food. As per the tradition, our guest, his closest male relatives, the negotiator and me all join the plate. A bucket of water allows us to wash our hands. We use our right hand to eat the rice in front of us. As I'm the main guest, people select what is considered being the best pieces of meat and drop them in front of me. For me to eat the lever and all kind of pieces we considered not so nice in western world. I don't want to eat lever pieces and other rat's hand, so I try and avoid them in the plate. It's not polite I know that.

The guest has disappeared and so has my negotiator. Only a man I cannot understand is there. After a while a woman comes and takes me inside. The bedroom is the main bed room of the house. This is my guest's bedroom! He'll let me sleep here and will arrange something else for him. No choice. A boy brings a bucket of heated water for me to wash. And everybody disappears. Finally, an hour later, just before I fall asleep, a youg woman comes in. Present of the village... Again I refused the present. The girl is shamed because she must think she's not pretty enough. The hell she is, but it's not part of my ethics.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire