vendredi 27 mars 2009

Discussions

We meet in a remote place, isolated from women and children. Men come from the field to meet with me and discuss the topic. Some sit down, others wait standing in a corner. The discussion starts between them.

The village speaks two different languages and not everyone speak my language. Although I've got basic understanding of two local dialects, they are so different accents between villages that I hardly understand anything. So, as the discussion goes on, I don't say a word. I try and use my negotiator as a translator. But he has to be both an active member of the discussion and my translator at the same time. It doesn't work. I'm really frustrated because I couldn't follow the discussion and because the negotiator was not able to keep me up dated on the content of the talks. Discussion lasts for about an hour.

At the end of each discussion round, there is a smooth silence marking that we come to a compromise or an agreement among the group. But I couldn't say whether it's a yes or a no. And what are the concerns the villagers raised?
When it's all over, exhausted, my negotiator tells me what was at stake in their talks. There were no direct concerns about the bridge project itself. Men were discussing the state of repair of the school, of the mosquee, and other collective assets of the village. Not much to do with the project I'm here for! Later I will understand this is the prioritizing process of this villagers. I ask whether details of the bridge project were discussed, negotiator answers they were not. I'm confused.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire